Friday, January 21, 2011

Thaipusam Celebration in Penang

It all begins with laziness plus some intention to skip class yesterday. Laid down while watching drama, I planned not to attend class. Due to certain incident, my desire grew more and decision made, skip class. Few minutes later, after some incidents which I don’t think it’s necessary for me to write down, a few friends and I head down to Penang. Reason? Celebrate Thaipusam of course! 

The world knows that Malaysia is a multiracial country. Good thing for living in such country is get to experience other races’ celebration. In Penang, Thaipusam to be consider one of the few big celebrations listed. I have never been to one on my own for the past of 20 years and yesterday along with my friends we feted like nobody’s business. What’s more, the decoration cum performance deserves big thumbs up from all of us. 

Thaipusam actually celebrates the birthday of the Hindu deity Subramaniam. From what i understand, on this occasion, devotees show the sincerity of their faith by making sacrifices to the GOD. They gave out free foods to public. No matter who are you, what condition you’re in, you may join the crowd and take part in the celebrations. Let pictures do all the story telling.

        

  


   


We too, climbed all the stairways bare feet to make our way to the Hilltop Waterfall Temple, just like other devotees for blessing. They have tradition to rung the bell before we head down so we rung three times each. Later on, we visited another temple nearby. According to my friend, the temple is a bit different than the previous one. Therefore, we’re there and indeed it is different. The design is really unique and captivating. There we saw a Ratham, fully made of pure silver. The glittering lights and shine of the silver body made our eyes stared at it for quite some time. My friend said there are certain places in India has Ratham fully made of pure gold. How cool is that? 
Then, we heard noises here and there. We looked around and guess what we saw, Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng. This is the second time I met him within a short distance.

  


  

  

   

   

(It took me a lot of time to write this post. In fact, I attempted twice to get this post to be posted successfully. And I made it on the third time. The line in my university sucks to the max. I had done writing and describing everything in details but thanks to the line, I can’t post it smoothly and the error page pop out. After pressing the back button, EVERYTHING was GONE! The finished, well completed post is GONE!)

No comments:

Post a Comment